Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My Daddy Elmer Baggs and the S-U-V!

My daddy was so sweet and so thoughtful! We had been talking about me getting a new car and what kind I wanted and needed. I honestly wanted a pick up truck but the gas and prices were just way out of range for me. My daddy always watched television till the 11 o'clock news came on. I was in my room working on school work. He came walking in my room around ten o'clock and said, Marlene,
"I have an answer for ya,and your issue over a car!" Whenever he would make a statement like this, he would laugh, chuckle and I knew he was up to something. I said, "Ok, daddy what is the deal?"
He said,
"Call David Maus (Toyota), he can have you a car here in an hour!" I laughed and said, "Tonight?, really?" Then my dad, said I don't know that's just what the commercial said, "Call David Maus Toyota, and they will deliver in an hour!" He laughed and went back to bed.
The next morning he gets in my car and I am driving him to his market. He looks over at me and then says, "I know what kind of car you need."
I knew there was a punch line coming...
He said, "You need you a S_U_B."
I responded, "Don't you mean a S_U_V?"
He then completely ignored my question,and went on to tell me his story about his knowledge of the S_U_B or submarine sandwich and how it got it's name! The navy guys who were in port would get off the submarines and go get them a grinder. He chuckled when he said this.
"You do know what a grinder is don't you?"
Grinder
I had to admit, "No, I don't have a clue."
Then my daddy said, "Well hold on I'm fixin' to tell you!" Well, the story is these guys went in to get their grinders, but didn't have time to stay, so they wrapped them up and took them back to their submarine and that is how they got the name SUBS. It is short for submarine sandwiches! I thought this was hilarious and sure enough I looked up grinders and they are "submarine" sandwiches.
My daddy was a walking, talking encyclopedia!
More stories to come in the near future! If you don't want to miss them follow my blog!

No comments: