Sunday, May 20, 2012

Daddy, Jesus and Coffee

This morning my daddy went to his heavenly home.
He is finally at peace, running, jumping and probably drinking coffee with Jesus!

The last few years have been quite a struggle for him. He didn't like being bedridden and he was tired of being sick and tired. The last time I prayed with him, he said he felt like a "zombie."  My dad could describe his feelings in one word or one sentence matter of fact statements.  Usually the humor expressed subtly would hit you a few hours later, giving you a fresh appreciation of his wisdom.

My daddy was one of the hardest workers I've ever known.  Over the past three years, he had gone from getting up early, going to work seven days a week 364 days a year (he always took off Christmas), to being barely able to get out of bed.

Only after extreme doses of chemo therapy and radiation, at the ripe old age of 87, he lost his strength. His mind remained "sharp as a tack" and like I said earlier, he always had a quick wit about him...even to the very end of his life here on earth.

One of his favorite sayings was, "I don't care which way the wind blows as long as I get a little breeze." His last birthday was May 6th and he was 90 years old, now he is in eternity. The Lord wants us to honor our parents so we can live a long life.  He honored his daddy who lived to be 96!
I was blessed to have had my daddy and the stories he shared with me over the years. I will miss him. Below is a story I wrote a few years ago, called The Coffee Cup.
The Coffee Cup
Dear Seed Sower Deb,
You asked about my dad. This morning I'm home with him. His heart is getting weaker and weaker but he is still able to crack a joke. I always make coffee when he stays home and this morning I took him another cup. Usually I take him a small delicate cup, but this one was heavier. He needs the exercise!
Of course he lays down and drinks his coffee because he is weak. I poured him a refill and he said, "This is the height of laziness." (He meant, laying in bed drinking coffee.)
He keeps asking me if his brain is ok? He's worried about becoming demented. I assure him he's still all there. This has been a serious learning experience being at home with my dad who is 87. I've learned a lot and I've been blessed to be loved alot.
He is always thankful for every little thing and rarely complains. One thing I've noticed is that he is able to discern whenever he is anxious about something. He knows and understands whether or not something is a matter that you should get upset about.
He says, "my nerves are bad, I get upset over something I shouldn't get upset over."
This reminded me of Phil 4:6 "Be careful (anxious)for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
For those of you out there with older parents...appreciate their wisdom....and love their life....that all may go well with you and you will live a long life. For more about his produce market he started in 1955 check out
baggsmarket.blogspot.com
Cinderella Released...from ashes to beauty. cinderella.eyeofthestorm@gmail.com

1 comment:

Beverly Lewis said...

I know you were a great comfort to him. Lots of love shining your way as you light the darkness of those who don't have your glorious hope.